Is Eco parenting or green parenting just a myth in the 21st century? Or this great environmentally friendly parenting becomes a necessity to raise our kids?
Why its high time to raised your baby more eco-friendly way?
Let’s find out all those in this write-up along with some cool sustainable eco parenting tips.
Children are like plants; if you nurture them with love, care & compassion; they flourish like fruit & blossoms like a fragrant flower. That is where the beauty of life stands for; the ultimate meaning of life to create greener future. According to Jane Hanckel, the pioneer for Eco-parenting, “Children are the fruit of our future. Eco parenting is to grow greener children, creating life capacity for joy for the future.”
What Is eco parenting?
Eco parenting is a healthier & simplified version of lifestyle choices for smarter parents that often encompass organic, natural & low environmental toxins exposure and ensure a joyful atmosphere for children to lead happy, healthy & flexible lives.
In today’s fast pacing world where the parents are busy, technology grasping our majority of time-energy and global warming & toxic pollutants creating alarms to our living lifestyle, Eco parenting is not an option but a necessity as Professor Mark Cohen claimed.
The primary aim of eco-parenting system is to create:
- Love, connections & bonding between Parents & children
- Parents’ active involvement in providing valuable time & energy
- Healthy living environment
- Joyful, pleasant atmosphere
- Healthy lifestyle
Why its high time to adopt an eco parenting way to raise your kids?
First, look at the scenario of how Children & Environment is so profoundly connected and why a better environment is a necessity in today’s world for a better future. Let’s have a look:
The alarming consequences:
- Pesticides linked to ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Approximately 2400 children medication increases for ADHD
- Some food wraps contain hormone disrupters
- 15% of asthma caused by cleaning products
- Some personal care products contain ingredients that cause cancer & inhibit brain development
- 93% of Americans has BPAs (i.e., bisphenol A in organophosphate, a plastic hardener) in their blood linked to breast cancer, obesity, heart disease & ADHD
Toxic Pollutants in children toys, personal care cosmetics & food:
Massive amounts of chemicals are introducing throughout history, and each year, which is not tested in human beings & children. There is no proven credential of using those but are using in day to day life. Many of these chemicals stay in the human body for a prolonged time period after they have been exposed.
These chemicals include: leads, BPA– some of the main chemicals which cause:
- ADHD – (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Neurobehavioral disorders
- Hormone disruptors
- Heart disease
- BPA is a plastic hardener existing in different plastic bottles like baby bottles, water bottles & tin food. In 1930, it was considered a hormone disruptor that causes susceptibility to BP AIDS to children. Tin soup can raise the sensitivity of exposure to BPA by 20 times. BPA is banned in Canada as it’s declared as a toxic substance. Many countries need to follow this suit.
- Leads related to ADHD hormones, disruption & diabetes.
- Organophosphates are present in indoor-outdoor children’s environment, in the school environment, and also in our food, where infants are exposed to over 100 chemicals in the uterus, which is, in turn, cause developmental delays in children of the age of 3 years old. So the mental health problems start in the womb long before the child is born.
Author of “last-child left & woods” book Richard Louv claimed, “The child & nature is an endanger species” – portrait the health of the children & earth is inseparable. There were some alarming data showing:
- 64% OF UK’s children play outside less than once a week
- 28% hadn’t been in country walk in 2009
- 21% had never been in a farm
- 20% had never climbed a tree.
Tips for eco parenting: The road of the solution on how to achieve Eco parenting for sustainable green future-
Let’s look at some crucial steps to adopt:
- Approximately 93% of the children spend their time in learning centers, which in turn raising a generation of Amnesiac. The University of Wollongong studies showed Memory retention & outdoor learning is significantly improved and also the behavioral outcomes.
- University of Illinois study shows just 20 minutes’ walk in nature is good & better medication for the children of ADHD. But in town setup or urban street states no improvement.
- Modern Educational Scientist discovered if a child is going through 20 years of formal education setup, 70% of his intelligence irrevocably destroyed. As because today’s education teaching of coping with competition, not incorporating to make unique human geniuses. Home & school’s environments should be as such that will create an atmosphere to flourish a child’s mental strength & ability. The beauty of the child is he is flexible- Sadhguru says the spiritual Guru.
- Intellectual emotion & spiritual need to create an environment that is not over stimulating for child’s potential development & healthy growth. The Fundamental principle is to create a joyful atmosphere, according to Jane Hanckel, which needs to be implemented at Self- family-community-country level. Meditation & spirituality practice would be helpful as modern science claimed.
- Simplify people’s life:
- Bringing Simplicity & joy in small things like playing in nature, climbing tree and swimming in pond, playing with mud, walking in nature, incorporating children in plantation & giving small indoor-outdoor tasks.
- Avoid plastic & chemical usage and too much exposure to technology instead expose children to nature & environment
- Introducing healthy homemade food. Avoid tin products, processed food, and supermarket drinks.
- So how can we protect our children from chemicals?
- Breastfeeding (encouragement in community level)
- Eat unprocessed chemical-free food
- Minimize plastic usage in out food 7& in children’s environment.
- Avoid using pesticides
- Use ecological cleanings & personal care products
- Avoid using artificial fragrances
- Violent video game, TV & internet addicts:
If you compared human brain to other mammals it is very tiny at birth, a mere 25% of its final adult size. The National Institute of Mental Health suggests the brain doesn’t fully develop until our mid-late twenties. The frontal lobe, responsible for judgment, planning, assessing risks, and decision-making, is the last region to finish development around age 30. So during this critical age period removing technology from the early childhood environment can lead to quite a child who has more connections with each other. More technology exposure kills the brain imagination, clogs & clutter up brain as it’s the softest organ of child which in turn leads to less thinking power/ability; less fantasy & imaginary power about fairy tales; becomes dull & leads aggressive behavior; and also causes several of violence & crimes.
- Forming healthier & more resilient families:
John Bowlby, British psychoanalyst and Founder of Attachment Theory came with a hypothesis that healthy attachment is crucial to promote emotional regulation and is vital for optimal brain development. Our interactions with our children, whether positive or negative, affect the way their brains grow. Some tips are:
- Living simply, eating healthier food & using natural materials.
- Spending time in nature
- Practicing mindfulness in meditation
- Working together, potential for happiness & joy for all children.
So now its time to live simply & start questioning all this chaos happening.
The only solution is to,
- Spending more time in nature & Connect with it. Start to live in a more environmentally way. Its time to highly appreciate the green living lifestyle.
- Always educate your kids to figure out what is necessity needs and what is atypical needs. Encourage your baby to use natural resources wisely- for example, emphasis to use renewable energy like solar energy and wind energy for a better clean environment and energy security.
- Working on creating a joyful atmosphere of love & bonding; because everything is interrelated & connected. A child needs a joyful, pleasant atmosphere to grow, and then parents’ love-bonding with patient involvement of giving active time & energy will lead to flourishing -that’s all. We aim to create a better future for a better generation, which is better than us.
There are several papers published in this realm, but it’s not accessible to the General public, which is the ironic truth. And more upsetting is media as not cooperating to disseminate the information to the public.
Raising funds to teach all this information to all the general public, community, daycare centers, and children indoor learning centers and schools is a necessity.
So, adopt eco parenting very soon, inspire a child, inspire a world, and create a new potential generation in a new world.